17.7.10

M.I.A.'s new album 'Maya' sucks...


In this case, babies DO ruin everything.
No M.I.A., we didn't forget about you, how could we with the fuckery that is "Paper Planes"???
'Maya' sounds sleepy, tired, incomplete and doesn't relay any sort of groovy message other than she put this one out for the cash...there's no passion behind it!
I was drawn to her for the in-your-face chants of heavy political upheaval, refugee life and her not-worthy collaboration of Indian & English culture. All played over some of the most danceable beats this generation has heard.

I think this album needed to cook a little longer...i get the more sensitive side she wanted to touch on and the whole toning it down for the tot act most artists pull, but what happened? It's missing too many crucial elements that make up her signature Dancehall Queen style...and she's certainly not showing Gaga up with this one (not that i consider them that similar, but we all read M.I.A.'s take on Lady Gaga's style, sound and general persona).

The only song i'm enjoying a little is "It Takes A Muscle"...it's got a kind of a cool low-fi sound and a chorus that's hard not to get stuck in your head. I'll call it 'good' i guess, but again, compared to her previous work, it's nothing to write home about. What i'm trying to say, is that we all know you're better than that M.I.A.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7.1.11

    AGREED. I was pretty disappointed by this. It's not edgy or in your face or anything I respected MIA for. It sounds like she did it for the cash.

    ReplyDelete